Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Leading Edge

Been working on the left outboard leading edge this week. The inboard leading edge will be the fuel tank since the design uses a wet wing for fuel. The kit is easier than the previous Vans designs since it already has the landing light cutouts in the skin. The mounting bracket is also provided and the skins are prepunched to rivet it to the skins. 

I plan on using a pitot tube and EFIS system that provided angle of attack info so I thought about not installing the standard stall warning actuator. The weight of the unit is almost nothing though, and it was provided with the kit, so I went ahead and mounted it. It's never bad to have a backup right? Plus I would not want to try to install it later with the leading edge attached, the provided access hatch isn't that big. I waited to install the unit until I had squeezed the rivets on the splice rib and strip. That was a mistake! It took me almost an hour to fight with the cap screws and get them all the way in. The screws seem really really long, and the nut plates are formed somewhat out of round to give them a self lock. Now I have to use the warning, just so all that effort wasn't wasted.
Access hatch for stall warning actuator.
Stall warning actuator mounted to splice rib.

    I squeezed the rivets I was able to reach. The rest of the assembly is sitting on the bench until I can get some help to set the rivets. It's much easier to get good quality rivets when your not contorting yourself to reach both sides of the unit. Lee should be able to give me a hand either tomorrow or Friday.


Left outboard leading edge clecoed together and read to rivet
While I'm waiting for help riveting the leading edge, I pulled out the right wing main spar and began working on it again. I got all of the tank attach and access hatch nut plates riveted on and completed all of the countersinks on the bottom flange. I think countersinking is my least favorite task that I've had to do so far, it's incredibly boring and surprisingly tiring.

I found out that I made a mistake earlier in the build as well. The plans have to cut some pieces of J channel to serve as skin stiffeners in certain areas. You can see a piece on the left in the picture below. The kit contains 6 pieces 8' long and 4 pieces 6' long. The instructions don't give an indication on how to make your cuts, so earlier in the build I used 8' pieces to cut the main wing long stiffeners and 6' pieces to cut the main wing short stiffeners. Now I will end up short two pieces to make the tank stiffeners. I should have cut two of the short stiffeners from an 8' piece. I'll need to order a couple of 6' pieces for the tank stiffeners. I can't wait to see that shipping bill.


Looking down the leading edge, the J stiffener is sitting in the cutout in the top of the rib





 

















































1 comment:

  1. Your total times are better than mine. I am finding the prep for priming to be very time consuming and have slowed down to construct a paint booth! Any way up to riveting the out board leading edges together and up about 270 hours. I started in Augusts after OSH. Question… what did you do about the nut plates that attach to a dimpled part that have nut plate non dimpled mounting holes?? Dimple the nut plate mounting hole or accept the gap??? I have 140072

    ReplyDelete