Thursday, April 11, 2013

Setting aside the left wing, working on the right.

Finally got the leading edge riveted together and onto the spar, now it really looks like a wing. I was a little worried about riveting the leading edge due to the limited access but it went together quite easily. We turned down the air pressure to the gun and I think the rivets ended up much better. The top skins aren't horrible but there is more waviness and a couple dents that are pretty much absent from the leading edge. We will definitely be using the lower pressure for skin rivets from now on.

Left wing hanging up and out of the way.

I had considered waiting until the very end to construct the fuel tanks, but have decided to follow the plans sequence instead. Building the tanks at this point will allow bolting and torquing the tank to the spar with the bottom skins off. There are plenty of access hatches in the bottom skins, but obviously access is much better with it fully open. I still haven't ordered the proseal or the j stiffener that I need, so I'll spend the next few weeks bringing the right wing up to this point. It will probably work better this way since all of the required tasks are still fresh in my mind from the left wing.
   
Left wing cross section at the tip.
So far I've got the very fun task of main rib prep completed, flap hinges and hinge ribs preped, aileron torque tube bracket constructed, and aileron hinges constructed. I'm working on getting the rear spar and doubler plates all ready to go. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to get all the ribs riveted to the main spar and the rear spar riveted to the ribs. Then it will be on to the top skins and the leading edge. Things are going much faster on the right wing since I don't have to spend so much time studying the plans.

  
Right wing spar with ribs clecoed to spar and bolts installed and torqued.

The down side to working quickly is that it just hastens the start of tank construction. Most of the build logs I've read suggest that the tanks are the hardest part of the build, or the least fun anyway. Hopefully I'll find that it isn't as bad as it seems on the surface.

Right wing rear spar.

No comments:

Post a Comment