Friday, March 1, 2013

Wing rib prep

Been working on preparing all of the left wing main ribs the last few nights. Prep consists of squaring the flange to the web, straightening with fluting pliers, deburing, final drilling and deburing all the skin attach holes, dimpling all the skin attach holes in the bottom flange, and final drilling and deburring the spar attach holes. In other words a whole lot of work, times 14 ribs. Then two ribs get flap hinges installed, and all of them will get a double coat of primer tomorrow. All told I think I've got just over an hour into each rib.

I'm still waiting on the right nut plates for the tank attach screws (on back order according to Vans) so I'm going to go ahead and start work on the right wing spar and preparing the right wing ribs, rather than riveting the left ribs to the main spar. I don't want to be trying to install nut plates and countersinking for screws with all the ribs just blowing in the wind...

No comments:

Post a Comment