Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tools and Workshop

Vans has cashed my check and my wing kit should be arriving shortly, so I decided it was time to get my workshop ready.

I live in a small apartment, so building at home is not an option for me. I do however have a friend with a hanger at the local airport, and he has some extra room for me to build in. We will most likely end up partnering in the airplane when it is complete also. I'm sure things will be easier with a good helper when I'm stuck on something or when a second set of hands are needed too.

I've read comments from previous builders that having the project at home, at least to start, is the only way to go. I don't think that would work out well for me though, there's way to much at home to distract me. I can see where even a drive of "only" 15 minutes each way would eat into build time pretty quickly, but I am literally a 2 minute drive from the hanger. I think being at the airport will allow me to focus more clearly on the build during the time I schedule for it.

This past weekend I moved my tool chest, a shelving unit, and my new compressor down to the hanger. We did some measuring and there will be just enough room to construct the wings comfortably with Lee's airplane in there. With the added length of the fuselage there may need to be some creative rearrangement of the work area at that stage. I also began organizing all these cool new airplane tools I got from Cleaveland Aircraft Tool.

I've been giving a lot of thought as to the number and size of work tables I'll put together. The eaa chapter 1000 tables seem to be pretty popular and well designed. The wing stands I've seen on other builders sites also look pretty useful. I've decided to start with a single table similar to the chapter 1000 tables, but with a 4'x8' top, to build ailerons tanks and flaps on, and then construct a wing stand on casters for the main wing structure. I've made some drawings for a dimpling table as well, but won't construct it unless it seems like it would be useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment