Friday, February 15, 2013

Inventory

Completed the kit inventory tonight and found a few missing items. Most of the missing stuff was minor hardware, a few missing nut plates, washers, and screws, but I am also missing a couple ribs. I'll be giving Vans a call Tuesday so they can get the right stuff out to me.

I've been going over the plans for a while now and I don't mind saying I'm a little nervous. After match drilling some stiffener the plans have you jump right in and start by countersinking and riveting the tank attach plate nuts to the main spar, the single most important (and expensive I'm sure) airframe component. There certainly isn't any easing into this project.

I'm just going to play with some scrap and then use the micro-stop countersink cage very carefully. Hopefully once I have the cage set for depth the rest of the holes will go quickly. I should be able to squeeze all the rivets also, which will give me more control. I'm still not a pro with my rivet driving skills, and I do not want to be drilling rivets out of the main spar.

With the Presidents Day holiday weekend I'm hoping to make some real progress over the next three days, I just need to work slowly so I don't screw anything up during my learning stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment