Monday, October 7, 2013

Back Home and Ready to Work

Well things did not progress as well as I had hoped this summer, but I'm back home for at least the winter and will be back to working on the plane frequently. Over the past few months we got the left tank complete and it tested leakfree so it's hung on the spar. I was also able to get the wiring harness in the left wing as well a tubing for the pitot static and AoA lines. I decided to go with the Safe Air 1 system for the air data tubing since the system seems to offer the best as far as ease of connection and possible future work. I also picked up and will be installing the Safe Air 1 mast for the pitot tube itself. The wing is really starting to look complete with the tank installed.

Left wing with the tank installed.

Left wing from bottom showing the wiring for landing light and tip strobes.
Air data lines and ADAHRS wiring.

Now it's time to begin working on the right tank. We started out again by riveting the bottom stiffeners to the skin a couple weeks ago. We were able to get all 5 interior tank ribs installed in one work session over the weekend. We've adopted the opinion that it's better to just cover every joint in a thick layer of proseal and work faster rather than taking a bunch of time to do a super neat job. No one should ever see the inside of the tanks again anyway so all of the masking and such was really just wasted effort. I'm comfortable with the small amount of added weight and the few ounces less fuel capacity.

Right tank with interior ribs sealed and riveted.
 The tail kit is supposed to be shipping the week of October 14th so it's unlikely that we'll have the wing complete prior to it's arrival as hoped, but we'll be pretty close. Hoping to get the right tank completed this week and next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment